Wednesday, December 11, 2013

THE STRUGGLE TO KEEP THE FLAME BURNING. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire review.


by Love Esios

"Sometimes, you just have to lower your expectations to avoid unnecessary disappointments." -- This quote was the first thing that came to my mind after watching the most anticipated movie of the year and the second installment of The Hunger Games trilogy --- The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.

Oh don't get me wrong... I love the book. I adore The Hunger Games trilogy. Most of what you've heard about the movie, if you haven't watched it yet, were true. The movie did its best to show a faithful motion picture of the book. I just felt that the movie didn't set me ablaze until the end.

Clearly, the story was fast-tracked and I completely understand why. But sometimes, choosing a short cut will just make you miss the most important details in the story. I just felt that some of the most important scenes in the movie were not thoroughly established such as The Victors (Katniss and Peeta) adjusting to their new life in the Victors' Village, the reconciliation and eventually developing attraction of Katniss to Peeta (which she's not completely aware of), the consequent confusion that will follow because she thought she also had feelings for Gale (which should be felt like a cockfight in her head), the feistiness and the intensity of the clock-inspired arena in the Quarter Quell and the brewing revolution in the less-fortunate districts in Panem ignited by the courageous "berry act" of Katniss in the first movie. And how are they going to show the resurgence of District 13 in the next film if they haven't even given the audience an idea that there was a District 13 and they're very much alive? Unless they are planning to write the screenplay in a different light which I think is not a good idea. (For those who don't have any idea what I'm talking about, especially about District 13, you can ask my friend Google for a summary of the book so that you'll understand). And to top it all, I was not very happy about the beach scene of Katniss and Peeta which is one of my favorite scenes in the book. I was like, "Okay, that's it?" right after.

Despite the apparent discontent I felt for not seeing (and feeling) the scenes I'm expecting in the movie, there were some highlights that I loved about the film. I adored the characterization of Finnick Odair (portrayed by Sam Claflin) and Johanna Mason (portrayed by Jena Malone) in the movie. They provided the much needed wit and spunk in the story. I just felt that the "sugar cube" scene of Finnick and Katniss should've been more sexy than wholesome. Hahaha! :D If my interpretation is right, Finnick was trying to play Katniss in the book to the point of seducing her with a sugar cube. I also have to give it to the brilliant performance of Donald Sutherland as the cruel and manipulative President Snow. I can feel the antagonistic and evil atmosphere in Panem every time I see him on screen.

The fans might strangle me for speaking my mind but I just felt that the movie was not given enough justice. Catching Fire is supposed to establish the background and the beginning of the revolution and the situation of the events that are going to happen in the next movie but it wasn't like that in the film. I'm now wondering how they're going to stitch the story of the next movie and inject District 13 since it's a significant element in Mockingjay.

Nevertheless, if this is any consolation, I have to say that The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is better and more alive than its predecessor. Maybe there wasn't just enough fuel to keep the fire burning. I'd give 7/10 espresso shots for this film.



2 comments:

  1. The "mockingjay" costume in the movie mocks Cinna's best design in the book and ruins one of its best scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like the mockingjay costume in the film :) but they actually ruined a lot of very good scenes leaving me so disappointed in the end. Well, let's see how the Mockingjay movie will fare.

      Again, thanks for the comment ;)

      -Love

      Delete