Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Rambo meets Khal Drogo -- "Bullet To The Head" Movie Review

Sylvester Stallone as Jimmy Bobo
by: Uel Ceballos

I’m not so much into action film but I do love several of them. I just can’t help but be picky of the action films that I’m going to watch. Maybe because I grew up with action films that my father were so fond of watching and that along the way I got tired of the same old plots, the sight of the bad guys in black, the sexy leading ladies, and the deafening gun duels. Nevertheless I do still love and admire it all, especially if the story is unique, quiet unpredictable and full of surprising elements. Bullet to the Head however, is what you can call an old-fashioned action film but you know what, I really enjoyed watching it for several reasons: first, I grew up watching Sylvester Stallone and my respect for him as action star never change, and then second, Jason Momoa is one of the promising Hollywood actors nowadays and putting them together in one film is something that I’m really excited to see, and lastly, their acting prowess is worthily satisfying as always whether it’s an old school type of movie or a modern styled one.


Sung Kang as Detective Kwon
Bullet to the Head tells the story of the New Orlean hitman Jimmy Bobo (Sylvester Stallone) whose partner Louis Blanchard got killed after they have accomplished their target. Jimmy and his partner were hired to shoot a corrupt police Hans Greely but then right after doing so, they were targeted by another hitman Keegan (Jason Momoa). Jimmy met detective Kwon (Sung Kang) who was sent down from D.C to investigate on Greely’s death and eventually the two decided to work together after Kwon had found out the possible connections of Blanchard death to Greely’s. The following events led to the unraveling of political schemes wherein Jimmy estranged daughter Lisa (Sarah Shahi) was made a hostage to provoke Jimmy’s appearance.

With the familiar turn and twist of events, watching Bullet to the Head might felt like as if I’m watching again with my father back on those old days but this modern day movie with classic appeal is worth of admiration and sincere appraisal. I did still buy all the jokes, laughed at it and watched attentively to the fighting scenes – and it all benefit to my recall of other Stallone movies from the past which had really entertained me. Amusing it was that Stallone still got the knack for that thrilling combat routine in spite of his actual age – well once an action star will forever be an action star.

The film got a nice story, with Lisa evoking the softer side on his father’s personality. And Jimmy’s partnership with Kwon who was an Asian had quite bridged the gap between two different races and that’s a pretty good sight in the movie. Though other critics still got some negative things to comment about how interactions between Jimmy and Kwon went in the film, I’d still say that the writer knew better enough to make the movie appeared more appropriate according to its theme and line of story. I was particularly amused on that scene wherein Jimmy expressed his scornful reactions to that cellphone of Kwon where he was getting all the information that he required as a detective. It quite told the generation gap between the two characters, demonstrating how things were far different back in Jimmy/Sylvester’s time.

Jason Momoa as the head villain Keegan
Stallone surely did a great performance here with his effortless relic way which all fans are always looking for. And his signature mumbling of course – very Stallone, his film would never be completed without that mumbling that only he can does. Sung Kang also did well, exuding his very best to level with his co-actors’ overflowing energy for action routines. And Jason Momoa – though playing the worst and most disdainful antagonist character in the film had still carried it out effectively with all his charismas unstoppable from flowing! Stallone and Momoa’s axe battle in the end might seem off and absurd for the others, but it did entertain me and I couldn’t help seeing Rambo and Khal Drogo on a fighting pit!


For this one, fine movie that relived that classic Hollywood action film, I’ll drink on it with 8 Espresso Shots!



No comments:

Post a Comment