Tuesday, October 8, 2013

FANTASY LOVER - “It was exciting on some part. Not the kind of book that I will bury myself and finish in one sitting.” By Lyn Bungar


Photo courtesy of www.audioeditions.com
The title pretty much says what the book is all about – FANTASY LOVER. I classified it as a romantic/erotic novel. It is about an ex Spartan general and a half man half god, Julian of Macedonia who was cursed to live inside a book for eternity until a summoner called for him to be their boy-toy for thirty days. It was Priapus (brother of Julian) who put him in such damnation after he found out that he had slept with his woman.

Julian was every woman's dream. His physical attributes were indescribable. I was convinced that no such man exists in real life. He had been inside the book for over two thousand years until Grace, a sex therapist, summoned him with the help of her friend Selena, a tarot card reader/psychic. Selena was so desperate for her friend to sleep with a man, reason why she came up with the idea of Grace summoning Julian from the book. Grace has not been with a man for quite some time because of her experienced with her ex lover Paul. She finally gave in to Selena’s persuasion knowing that it was all a joke and that it wouldn't do her any harm.

There are parts on the book that caught my attention but some were not enough on getting me excited to go through the pages.  I liked Selena’s eagerness on finding her friend a mate, and the idea of Greek gods and goddesses interacting with mortals in the twenty first century were very interesting. There were lots of sexual tension between Julian and Grace. It was simply and beautifully written by the author. It was so vivid, like I was watching the action on-screen. But as I went through the book, it became predictable. The feeling of excitement occurred, vanished and appeared again. My emotions got to lose somewhere. I thought that the feeling will be redeemed by the most anticipated love scene that will free Julian, but I was a bit disappointed. I compared it to a friend of mine who told me stories with no climax. I was not so happy with Priapus and Aphrodite’s (mother of Julian) envy and selfishness that made Julian suffered a lot. It did not make sense to me at all. Thanks to the very unrealistic character of Grace, who happened to be a sex therapist yet unable to fathom her feelings toward men, Julian was freed from malediction. The story of Rodney, a madman and Grace’s stalker confused me. It didn’t blend well with the whole story, at least for me. The author should have concentrated with the Greek gods and goddesses turmoils. The ending was a disaster! Their love story was immature.

I would give 2-3 cups of latte for this book as I was entertained on some parts and the story started really well. But hey! The book was not bad at all. You might want to give it a try :)


1 comment:

  1. I've been planning to read this one soon, it's already in my line up of soon-to-read books but after I read your review, I must say, I kind of lose some will to do so, hehehe. But you mentioned about the exciting part, so I think I would still give it a try!

    ReplyDelete